Friday 3 November 2017

A Book That Influenced My Life

Did you ever feel like being struck by thunder after reading book?
Did you change your concept, your life after reading book?

Yes, I did.

Is this book:





Ooops.......I only have korean version at my house now........
But by looking the colours of the cover, author's name and the photo,
I think everyone already knew which book is it.

Yes, the title of the book is <<Rich Dad, Poor Dad>>!

So how did it change my life?
Everything began a long long time ago......

Once upon a time...
I am still a naive young kid,
everyday going to school,
try my best to get a good exam result,
that's all I knew.....

Until I entered primary 6,
which is year 1998,
the year where financial crisis landed at Malaysia....

Because of financial crisis,
my dad lost his job.
From a kid that was spoiled,
whenever I wanted something, my parents will buy it for me......
I became a kid that can't get anything I wanted......

I was 12 years old that time,
I didn't really understand what was going on.
I only knew that my family was having problem until my mum who was a housewife,
needed to go out and worked to earn money.

What I was able to do that time,
was to secretly put my pocket money back to my parents' wallets after receiving it,
and stopped tuition.

Thankfully my tuition teacher knew what happened,
and he offered to let me tuition for free,
so until now I still feel very grateful to my teacher.

Maybe that was the reason why I have special feeling at education field.

"Go to school, study hard, get a good exam result, get a good job, save your money."
My dad who lost his job during financial crisis kept brainwashing me that time.

My dad started to use the compensation fund given by his company to start a business.
But he quit after having disagreement with other partners.
Then he opened his own shop,
it didn't work well and the shop is closed.
My dad not only failed at business, but wasted a lot of the compensation funds......

If he used that bunch of money to invest at good companies instead of starting business...........
Ok I went to far.

Thankfully my relative needed someone trusted to help him handled one of his business,
so he hired my parents.

All this while I kept being brainwashing,
worked harder on my study,
obtaining straight As for both UPSR and PMR,
but somehow in my heart...
I felt like something is not right.....

After PMR exam I am free and nothing to do,
then one day my sister threw a purple cover book at me,
and suggested me to read it.

"Rich dad, poor dad?"
The title of the book caught my attention,
so I opened and read it,
then felt like being struck by thunder,
 and saw a whole new world!

The author Robert Kiyosakai strongly against the idea of  "Go to school, get a good job, save your money, buy a house, and invest for the long term in a diverse portfolio of stocks, bonds and mutual funds."

The contents of the book really triggered my mind,
and changed my old concept about money.

I learnt about his definition of asset & debt,
the difference between active income & passive income,
also about financial freedom.

From that moment,
how I looked a my life has totally changed!

After that,
I never gotten straight As in my exam.
This is because I already knew that my target is not to become an high income employees or professional in certain field like doctor or lawyer.

I knew I just needed atleast 5As to enter form 6,
so I didn't seriously prepare for SPM,
just relax the whole time,
after finishing the paper I slept inside the exam hall,
the examiners always asked me did I fall sick~

Same when STPM,
different than the rest of my classmates, I had no interest in becoming doctor.
(my class got around 40 students and I am the only one who didn't want to become doctor.....)
I also knew that I don't need very good result to enter local university for maths related course.
So I relaxed again,
used my good maths result to pull up my CGPA,
and I gotten into my second choice of university and the course I wanted.

I went too far again..........

During high school I didn't focus on studying, so what did I do most of the time?

I already knew that "Go to school, study hard, get a good exam result, get a good job, save your money, buy a house." is not what I want.
What I want is financial freedom!

But what can I do as a high school student?

So I started to think,
What am I good at?
Do I have any hobbies that can be turned into passive income?

I was just 15 years old that time.

After scanning myself,
I realized that maybe I can try to use my hobby of writing fantasy novel.

There were some Taiwan Publisher Company's website that allowed people to upload their novels and allowed people to read novels for free.
If the novel can be charted at top10,
then there is a chance to publish the novel.

I wrote for few years,
accumulated some followers,
always stayed in the chart around 50th place.

Then,
I entered local university,
and my focus was diverted, and stopped writing.

It was kind of wasted....
This is because after I stopped writing,
all these fantasy novels started to be popular at China,
all those authors that their novels only charted for top100,
also able to publish an actual book,
or atleast online book to earn money.

And me, totally wasted this golden age of online novel........
I am such an idiot.......

When I am at the final year of university,
I started to think what I want to do after graduated.

One thing for sure is the life that every morning need to wake up early,
stuck at traffic jam for one hour to go to work,
and then stuck at traffic jam for another hour to go back home from work,
this kind of rat race life is not what I wanted!

So,
I read the book <<Rich Dad, Poor dad>> again,
last time I read chinese version,
this time was english version.

Then I made an action
I registered for a free property investment talk.

Property investment talk............
where the actual motive of the speaker was to build a group to buy new properties so that everyone can get discounts from the seller........

After attending the talk,
I always drove around my university area,
tried to look for any property for sales/rent,
even made phone call to ask for price.

Since is university area,
so all the properties were high price but low rental income,
no matter how I calculate also negative cashflow...

Some more I am low at investment capital,
there was nothing much I can do that time..........

That was the time when I found out about share investment.
We can start share investment with very low capital,
dividend = passive income,
it fits what I wanted.

Thus,
I started to invest at share market at year 2011 which is also my final semester at university.

Thanks to Robert Kiyosaki who wrote the book <<Rich Dad, Poor Dad>>.
The book did help me saw another side of a coin,
another world full of possibilities.


Other articles :
4 basic types of human personality
Year 2017: The consequence of long term investment
Public Bank 3rd quarter financial result
My opinion about oversea market
Handling investment with ease



Other links:
List of articles of October 2017
My current investment portfolio
My self-introduction article
My Twitter : @TheCellist86


No comments:

Post a Comment